Friday, November 30, 2012

Week 7/Day 49 - I made it!

The end of today will be 7 weeks post-surgery, and I'm feeling fully recovered.

Last Saturday (end of week 6) was my clinical clearance to resume all normal activities, including exercise. Right in time with that, I felt completely back to my personal normal on both Sunday and Monday. Tuesday/Wednesday there was an ever-so-slight 'presence' in my uterine area, but come Thursday I was great again.

This morning, I took my first post-surgery run. Just 2 miles to see how it went.
  • Post-surgery-wise, it went great: no pain, discomfort or weird feelings in the surgery region. 
  • Exercise-wise, I definitely have some work ahead of me: My lungs aren't as strong, from 7 weeks of no cardio. And while my legs felt good because of the lunges I've been doing, I could feel in the first 5 minutes how much weaker my abs and waist area are from no attention all this time.  
Still, it's a start. It felt great to release the energy, and I have no excuse to get back into a routine; not even the holiday season. My body's good to go.

How strange, physically, to feel like I never had surgery (except the feeling of my scar lumps when I run my fingers over them). I've gone through such a range of stages in my personal health in this short period of time. 

I would have preferred not to have needed surgery, but in some ways I'm grateful for the experience. And I'm so glad I kept this blog, as much of it seems so distant, now....

It really is amazing how our bodies are able to go through such trauma, and heal. I can truly say that this recovery journey has come to an end. Thanks to all who stopped by from time to time to share it with me.

A final sayonara. :)

12 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say a BIG "thank you" for keeping a blog and posting all this information!!! Very, very helpful for many of us going through a similar experience; trying to figure it out what's normal and what's not. You have helped me so much!
    Wish you to stay healthy and keep this positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading, and for your kind words. I wish health and happiness to you as well!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and THANK YOU! My laprascopic myomectomy is at 9:30 tomorrow morning and I'm far more worried about the long recovery period than I am about the surgery itself. Your story was inspiring! I have plans to be back at work on Tuesday, which is 5 days post-op. I may be kidding myself...

    I really appreciate you posting this, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank *you* for your comment and for reading. I'm hopeful that your surgery today went wonderfully - and here's to a super speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It has been so informative and helpful. I'm 38 and I found out I have fibroids about a year ago when they started causing issues like bloating, lower back pain, groin pain and rectal pressure. I have 7 fibroids ranging in size from 1cm to 2.5cm. I'm schedule for a robotic myomectomy in 2 days. Feeling a bit nervous about it but I somehow found it comforting to read about your personal experience day by day. Glad to find out you re doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for reading, and for your comment. I hope your surgery was beyond successful and that you're feeling symptom-free and so much better in the coming weeks. There hasn't been a single day that I've regretted it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this!! Will be having a robotic myomectomy on Tuesday, 5/5, and have been scouring for 'what to expect after' posts -- this was perfect!!! So glad you're still pleased with the results, and grateful for your open honesty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thank you for stopping by to read! I hope your surgery went great and that you're starting to feel well in those early days of recovery. Maybe even getting some good TV in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this detailed account of your recovery. It was very inspiring! Having my surgery in a few weeks and this really helped me to know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for your kind words. My very best to you with your surgery next month, and here's to a well recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I am not sure if you still check this post but I thought I would try. It really helped reading what recovery was like day by day. Did you try to have children after this? If so, did that change anything? Can you still see your scars today? Did any tumors come back? I am 30 and need my one large fibroid removed before trying to have children. I have had it for years but for whatever reason drastically became larger over a 6 month period. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caitlin, that's really kind of you to say. I'm so glad if this blog helped in any way. And to answer your questions:
      - Re scarring: I can barely see 2 out of the 4, and the other two are significantly faded. I do have a tiny bit of feel-able scarring on the top two scars, so one of the faded scars has a slightly visible 'pinch,' if you know what I mean. But most probably wouldn't notice any of them.
      - Re children: Yes, I did try to conceive about 8 months post surgery, and was fortunate to get pregnant very quickly - so the fibroid/surgery clearly made no impact for me on conceiving or on my pregnancy, which was very standard in every way, including delivering vaginally (sorry if TMI). I was 33 when I had my surgery, and 34 when I conceived and gave birth.

      And 5 years since the surgery, I've had no evidence of any new fibroids forming. So I'm really happy for that.

      Thank you so much for your comment. I wish you my very best through your own story!

      Delete