Saturday, November 10, 2012

Week 5/Day 29 (Saturday) - Oh so close...

I am officially into week five, and only a couple days away from my one-month mark. This past week has been inching along in terms of noticeable progress, but I can taste full recovery.

Monday was the start of my daily subway commute into Boston/working in the office. A colleague applauded my decision to work from home during week 3; he had abdominal surgery years ago and returned after week 2, and said it was so hard on his body.

Monday though Wednesday were trying on my core from sitting at my desk. I now realize how ergonomically lacking my chair is. (And I work in occupational safety and health! Go figure.) But by Thursday, quite a dramatic change actually, I felt fine. So I should be in great shape for next week.

Even the subway was doable, though tough, the one day I had to stand in a sardine-packed car during rush hour.

Other positives for the past week:
  • I'm back to my regular walking pace, without feeling winded.
  • There's barely any tenderness when I rub my incision spots (which expands my wardrobe options tremendously).
  • [to tune of 'The Safety Dance'] I can dance if I want to!
Me and Richard at Dance Spot #1

I really tested myself yesterday, but passed with flying colors:

My sister held the 'Last Dance' of her public art piece, Dance Spot Boston. Since I couldn't participate earlier due to my surgery, I had to join the congo line for this.

I tried to be cautious, and took several breaks from the action. But dancing inevitably involves quick movements and bouncing. And I was fine! I think the tiredness I felt was more due to my lack of exercise than my body still healing. No cramping, no soreness.

They really have this 6-week recovery timeline down to a science. In another week, it's going to feel like my surgery never happened. Except for feeling even better than I did pre-surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment