Friday, October 26, 2012

Day 14 (Friday) - Part 2: Post-Op

Looks like I am going to spend one more week at home.

I will still be working, but remotely. My mind is ready, but Doc says my insides need a little extra strengthening time before exposing my core to the daily office posture. I'm inclined to agree after my commute trial run.

I was completely winded after the 1/2 milk walk and subway ride into Boston. I wasn't expecting this since I've walked over a mile on each of the past three days. I was wiped by the time I got home.

Still, I am healing well. My incisions look great (her words not mine), though she cleaned two of them out with peroxide which was uncomfortable (both of them) and made me really squeamish (belly button one).

Blurry (i.e. less gross) photo of my healing incisions
Got some info on some of my questions:
  • First, not that they weren't anticipating it, but my fibroid/tumor was confirmed to be benign. It was also 10cm (4 inch) ball all around; now I have dimensions. 
  • Because of placement, they didn't have to cut all the way through my uterus to remove it--very good *, but unusual for a fibroid at this stage. They did still have to cut away at layers to get to and detach the fibroid: it was growing off the outside my uterus, but smooth muscle had grown all around it, sandwiching it in. The backside of my uterus is in the process of strengthening and re-growing smooth muscle.
  • Forgot to ask about weight gain, but that was just curiosity. 
  • A lot of the gas pains I'm still having (not to mention hypersensitivity to my bladder) is because there's suddenly extra room in there. My pieces are all slowly moving back into place as they re-learn where they belong. In the meantime, any trapped gas has to find a creative path out. 
  • Finally, the small pains I've been having in my lower sides are likely some of the ligaments that hold my uterus in place; they, too, are healing.
So many working parts!

Bodies sure can be gross, but they're also amazing.

Sayonara.

* Because they did not have to cut open and stitch back together any part of the uterus, if I were ever pregnant I could likely labor no problem, vs. automatic cesarean.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for this photo of your scars. I am currently on Day 10 post robo myomectomy and was wondering if my scars/scabs were normal. A great relief to see that yours are mostly similar. Thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment - It's also nice for me to know that my scars/scabs are normal. :) Here's another blog, if you're interested, that I've enjoyed reading along my way (full laparotomy, but still similarities in the stages of healing): http://dancemeasong.wordpress.com/

      Best to you in your recovery!

      Delete